Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Mile a minute baby quilt

This is the very first quilt I ever made!  I made it years ago for my first born.  He is now 4-1/2 years old, and I've made quite a few more quilts (I will post them later).  I can honestly say that I didn't really have any idea what the heck I was doing.  I didn't measure it right, I sewed the borders on before I tied it etc. etc.  Good thing I made it so small, otherwise it would have been a real disaster!  My grandmother showed me how to make a mile a minute quilt and this was the result.  It was so special and so fun to spend that time with her.  My husband and I were extremely poor during that time of our marriage, so my grandmother supplied me with her scraps, thread, an Elgin sewing machine, and measuring/cutting tools (she actually gave me the machine years before I was married, but every time I played with it, nothing but disaster occured!).  When I was done working with my grandmother, my mother-in-law helped me finish it.  She also supplied me with scrap fabric and she let me borrow one of her many Bernina sewing machines (true love right there!). I'm so grateful to have such awesome and crafty women in my life so I'm not left to figure it all out on my own.  I wasn't going to post this because I didn't want to take the time out to explain how to construct a mile a minute quilt, but while searching the internet, I was lucky enough to come across this:
http://patchworkpie.blogspot.com/2008/06/mile-minute-quilt.html  She gives awesome directions on how to make one. It is the perfect craft when you have tons of fabric scraps that you don't know what to do with!

No comments:

Post a Comment