Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Super Hero Cape and Mask

If you have boys, then you probably know how obsessed they can get with the idea of capes and super heros.  My boys are constantly playing games that involve them being super heros.  They were constantly asking me to tie their blankets around their necks in the form of capes, so I broke down and made them their very own.  Go here for a tutorial on how to make your own: http://mineforthemaking.blogspot.com/2010/07/super-cool-cape-tutorial.html
I used the same measurments the author suggested, but I noticed that there were no measurements suggested for the size of felt to use.  I cut the white piece into a 7-1/2" square.  I'm pretty sure the blue piece I cut into a 6-1/2" or 7" square.  Can't quite remember.  Anywho, I didn't want to do all the fancy hand sewing as shown in the original, so I just sewed the logo together and sewed it right onto the cape, alternating the thread color.
 I made my mask quite smaller too.  I just placed fabric on my childs face and traced around his eyes and what not and went from there.  I measured the elastic to fit his head also.
 I used really soft rope, instead of ribbon for the tie (looked more super heroish to me) and just sewed it in place with three stitches (pictured below) then folded the top over and sewed it down.
 Yes, I sure did make one for all three boys...ahem...Super heros.  They LOVE them!

No comments:

Post a Comment